Ayurvedic massage therapy called Navarakizhi or Njavarakizhi, also called Shashtikashali Pinda Swedana, is used to strengthen, tone, and improve nerve conductivity in the muscles. Kerala is the birthplace of the innovative therapy known as Njavarakizhi treatment. The term “Njavara” in Malayalam refers to the particular variety of rice (Oryza sativa) that is used in treatment. Kizhi, a term for a fabric ball, refers to a bolus or poultice. Cooked rice is used in the Navara Kizhi therapy and is stuffed into a cotton bolus. After applying medicated oil to the bolus, the body is gently massaged to induce perspiration. As part of an Ayurvedic treatment, the Navarakizhi aids in the body’s detoxification and reduces stress.
Here’s a general overview of the Navarakizhi procedure:
- Preparation of Njavara Rice: The Njavara rice is cooked with a mixture of milk and a decoction of herbs with nutritive and medicinal properties.
- Filling the Bags: The cooked rice is then tied into small muslin bags, creating boluses.
- Massage: During the massage, the therapist dips the bags in a mixture of warm milk and herbal decoctions and then uses them to massage the entire body or specific parts.
- Repetition: This process is repeated for a specific duration, and the bags are reheated as needed.
In Malayalam, the word “njavara” refers to rice that matures in 60 days, while “kizhi” denotes bolus. Keralan native rice variety Njavara is known for its therapeutic qualities.
On the massage table, the patient is made to lie down. The rice-filled bolus is immersed in herbal oils selected based on the patient’s condition. The massage might cover the full body or just a portion of it, depending on the needs of the treatment. Swedana is the process that makes you sweat. The massage is administered to the patient using seven distinct postures. After the process is finished, rice that has become stuck on the body is removed using coconut leaves. The entire body is then massaged with herbal oil. Thirty minutes after the surgery, the patient is free to take a bath.
Benefits – The renewing and nourishing effects of njavarakizhi treatment equip the patient to handle the pressures and tensions of a hectic lifestyle. It improves general skin look, strengthens the neurological system, and promotes physical consistency. This is a strengthening treatment used for rheumatism, arthritis, neurological diseases, and limb malnourishment.
Njavarakizhi Ayurvedic treatment benefits
- It aids in reducing Vata Dosha vitiation, which can lead to a number of health issues.
- The immune system is strengthened by it.
- It supports the restoration of the motor and sensory systems.
- It soothes the mind and promotes healthy skin.
- Due to its relaxing effects, this therapy would be beneficial for people who have trouble sleeping.
- It is used in Ayurvedic treatments because it aids in the body’s renewal.
Who should undergo:
Anyone with muscle discomfort, spondylosis, sciatica, cervical myelopathy, arthritis, scoliosis, hemiplegia, palsy, paraplegia, low backache, etc., can benefit from the operation. It is well known that this process can aid to relieve pain and relax the muscles.