AYURVEDIC VIEW ON MIGRAINE:-
Migraine in Ayurveda is mentioned as Ardhavabedaka. Acharya Charaka explains it as a cutting and churning type of pain in the half part of the head, ears, eyes and forehead. He further explains that if this headache becomes severe, it may diminish the power of vision and hearing. Ardhavabedaka or Migraine is Tridoshaja (involvement of all the three Doshas).
If the disease is dominated by Vata Dosha, the patient may have dryness of skin, constipation and the pain is very acute.
If the disease is dominated by Pitta Dosha, the patient may feel redness and burning sensation in the eyes, hypersensitivity to light.
If the disease is dominated by Kapha Dosha, the patient may experience fatigue, depression, and headache with dull throbbing pain.
Main Causes Of Migraine:-
- Frequent fasting.
- Excessive intake of oily, spicy, and dry food items.
- Irregular eating habits like long intervals between meals.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Mental factors such as Anxiety, Stress, Grief, and Depression.
- External stimuli such as excessive noise, lights, etc.
- Weak digestion is also a contributing factor which in turn increases Ama (undigested food) and also constipation.
- Irregular sleeping habits
Complications Of Migraine:-
Migraine is more than a headache. People experience different complications associated with headache such as
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Status Migrainosus ( Which lasts for longer than 72 hours and patient is usually hospitalized due to intense pain.
- Migrainous Infraction (Migraine is associated with stroke. This is a migraine headache with an aura that lasts more than an hour and there may be bleeding in the brain.
- Persistent Aura without Infarction.
- Migralepsy (This is a condition where an epileptic seizure is triggered by a migraine. Typically the seizure will occur within an hour after a migraine).
- Sinus Headache: These headaches are characterized by congestion and a heavy dull feeling. Mostly seen during spring, when there is predominance of Kapha Dosha.
- Tension headaches: These are due to imbalance of Vata Dosha and the symptoms include sharp or fluctuating pain.
Treatments Done For Migraine Are As Follows:-
Duration: 45 minutes
This is quite essential Ayurveda therapy. Expert Birla Ayurveda therapists massage your head and the whole body with lukewarm ayurvedic oil.
Regular Abhyangam enhances proper blood circulation, increases immunity, improves complexion, and relaxes the mind.