HOW DOES BASTI HELP?
• Basti is a procedure wherein the medicated oil/kashayam/fluid which is given through the anal route gets absorbed in the intestine with simultaneous action of the medicines which are there in the oil or decoction given.
• It nourishes the body, pacifies the vata and allied dosha in the body.
• Major site of vata is the colon area.
• It is a varied type according to pathology of the disease in an individual.
• The doshas from all over body are initially bought into abdomen by Therapeutic ayurvedic abhyangam and swedan i.e. massage and steam, after that they are expelled through the basti treatment.
• Some drugs are absorbed by passive diffusion and some by active transport, bioavailability of the medicine, will be higher when given as
The patient is allowed to eat according to the basti type which will be administered.
The patient made to get on to the dhroni ,given Abhyangam with suitable oil and mild sudation is done on the waist region.
The patient is made to lie comfortably on left lateral position with his left leg extended or stretched out and right leg folded in front and the left hand kept beneath the head .
Anal region is well lubricated.
A very soft simple rubber catheter is inserted in the anus.
Oil/kashayam/basti fluid is put into the rectum by syringe or enema pot.
Patient is advised the dietary habits acc to the basti type given
BENEFITS OF BASTI THERAPY
BENEFITS OF BASTI THERAPY
• Helps is diseases of overall body
• It is said that basti is like a blessing for the kids and the adults
• It helps to cleanse the doshas, pacify the doshas
• Helps in nourishing the body internally
• Controls ageing
• Increases immunity.
• Improves overall mind and body strength
• Improves skin tone and texture
• Improves semen and egg quality
• Rejuvenating to the body.
• Arthritis, Lumbar spondylitis, Cervical spondylitis and various other joint and muscle issues.
• Sports injuries
• Parkinsonism, alzehimers, stroke
• Delayed milestones, ADHD diseases
• Degenerative diseases
• Alzheimer’s and other nervous system diseases
• Recurrent missed abortions.
• Chronic constipation
• Debilitated conditions
• Weight loss
• Improves vision
• Improves the strength of all senses
• PCOD, menorrhagia
• Bleeding piles etc
• Menstrual cycle.
POINTS TO BE REMEMBERED BEFORE COMING FOR BASTI
• Excessive sitting, walking, standing, travelling.
• Day time sleeping.
• Have food only when hungry.
• Controlling urges like urine, motions, sleep, hunger, thirst etc.
• Performing any coital activity (physical intercourse)
• Sitting under AC, directly under fan, cooler.
• Consuming cold food stuff, cold water.
• Sitting under excessive heat.
• Having refrigerated or microwave food items.
• Excessive stress, anger.
• Excessive eating, munching in between meals.
• Alcohol , smoking, tobacco etc.
• Bathing with cold water.
• Talking continuously, shouting, loudly.
• Food products like curd, cheese, paneer, butter
• Fermented food (idli, dosa, dhokla etc.)
• Bakery products (bread, biscuits, etc)
• Non veg food(unless adviced)
• Banana, sitaphal, chikoo, other sweet fruits.
• Vegetables: potato, sweet potato, bhindi.
• Aerated drinks, milkshakes, and deep fried food.
• Pulses like chole, rajma, chana.
• Avoid sweets, chocolates, ice creams.
• Excessive spicy, salty and sour food.
• While coming and going from the procedures cover yourself warm to avoid outside cold weather.
TYPES OF BASTI
MAIN TYPES OF BASTI ACC TO THE CONTENTS ARE:
- Anuvasan-Oil Basti-Lubricating In Nature
- Niruha Basti-Kashaya Basti-Cleansing In Nature
- Ksheer Basti-Medicated Milk Contating Basti-Nourishing In Nature
MAIN TYPE ACC TO NUMBER OF DAYS:
- Yog Basti-8 Days
- Kala Basti-15 Days
- Karma Basti-30 Days
IS BASTI JUST TO CLEAN THE GUT?
Basti is a lot more than just putting soap water or normal fluid or water in the gut in large quantities and flushing them out.
It is correcting the dosha and cleansing the body.
IS IT SAFE TO TAKE BASTI OR ENEMA FOR SO MANY DAYS?
It is absolutely safe to take enema under our physician advice for as many days as you are advised provided you follow the rules for the same.
IS THE PROCEDURE HYGIENIC AND SAFE?
The procedure is completely safe and hygienic, as the catheter etc used are disposed after each use.
The medicines are also prepared in hygienic way.