Compiled by Dr. Divya Naveen, BAMS
Around 20-30% of the Indian population suffers from allergic rhinitis.
If you sneeze a lot, if your nose is often runny or stuffy or your eyes, mouth or skin often feels itchy you may have allergic rhinitis, a condition that affects 20-30 % of Indians.
allergic rhinitis, like skin rashes and other allergies, develops when the body’s immune system becomes sensitized and overreacts to something in the environment that typically causes no problem in most people.
Signs and Symptoms :
3.) Nasal Congestion
4.) Itchy nose, eye, palate, and ears
5.) Tears in the eye
1.) Skin-prick tests
2.) Blood tests
3.) Allergic tests
4.) Based on symptoms
Ayurvedic view of allergic rhinitis
- Virudhahara likes to fish and milk, fruit juice with milk, clarified butter with honey, cold drinks or fruits at night after dinner etc.
- Ama(toxic) formation in the stomach
- Kapha vitiation in the body
- Agni mandyam(reduces digestive fire)
- Vata aggravation
- Rasa-rakta dhathu vitiation
- Ojus khaya (reduces immunity)
When the same person is exposed to the following factors
- Vihara like suppression of natural urges like feces
- Inhalation of thikshna dravyas like peper, chilli, and dust.
- Overexposure to the sun
- Vata aggravating factors like a cold wind, cold food etc
- Aggravated vata will move to the nasal cavity and it will get obstructed by vitiated Kapha at Sringataka marma(head), causes continuous sneezing
Treatments in Ayurveda :
In Severe and chronic conditions
After the detoxification and in mild conditions.
To balance Kapha – Vata dosha.
Improve immunity and strengthen the upper respiratory tract.
Rasayana like Agasthya rasayana, dasamoola rasayana, haridra khanta.
External therapies :-
- Shiro abhyangam
- Haridra dhuma
- Taila Dhara
Home Remedies :-
Boil ½ teaspoon of freshly grated ginger in milk. Add 2 pinches of turmeric powder. Take 2 times a day. Turmeric is a natural immune booster and very effective in allergic rhinitis.
Diet management :-
- Take Light food, lukewarm water, Kapha nashaka foods like little spicy food, saindhav salt, legumes, soups, etc.
- Avoid heavy food, fermented food, too hot or too cold food, soar food, nonvegetarian food, sweets, banana, curd, ice creams, desserts, cakes, yellow grams, etc.
- Avoid Alcohol and cold beverages.
Lifestyle improvement :-
- Use a mask while driving a vehicle or going through public places.
- Always take a warm water bath.
- Do not expose to hot sun rays.
- Regularly take inhalation of steam.
- Regularly go for morning walks in warm weather.
- Do sufficient exercise.
- Do not get sleep in the daytime or immediate after dinner.
- Take sufficient rest.
- Ardha chandrasana
- Salamba Sarvangasana
- Setu bandhasana
- Allergic conjunctivitis toxic dermatitis
- Around 20-30% of Indian population suffers from allergic rhinitis. That 15% develops Asthma later in life.
Conclusions & experience
Ayurvedic remedies start to show improvements within two days. The treatment must be continued for minimum of three months to cure it completely for long years.