A brief history of massage – China, Egypt, India, Sweden, etc.
Civilizations in the East and West found that massage could heal injuries, relieve pain, and prevent illnesses helps to reduce stress and provide relaxation.
- Practicing massage is noted in approximately 3,000 BC.
- Based on the patient’s health imbalances, constitution, and time of year, Ayurveda has given a variety of treatment therapies, medicines.
- These treatment therapies have Abhyangam-OIL massage as an important part.
- A variety of massages have been described according to the patient’s need etc.
- Massage therapies are seen between 3000 and 2500 BC
- Egyptians created reflexology – 2500 BCE.
- Here practitioner applies pressure points on the feet and hands, the patient experiences benefits on the areas of the body that are connected to those points.
- The benefits of massage therapy are traced back to approximately 2700 BC.
- Chinese massage states that diseases and illnesses arise due to deficient or imbalanced energy in pathways/meridians which represent physiological systems. Through massage, energy flows more harmoniously through meridians.
- Techniques name- Tui Na, amno, acupuncture, acupressure.
- Massage techniques developed in the early 1800,
- Swedish physician Per Henrik Ling developed “Swedish Gymnastic Movement System” Techniques include stroking/pressing/squeezing/striking to treat physical issues.
- How does massage work on the body?
- When the oil is massaged on the body for a particular duration the oil accordingly reaches deeper layers (dhatu levels).
- The medicines in the oil have their action by absorption mechanism.
- The oil with its medicines is absorbed and converted by bhrajak pitta to pachak pitta in the skin than to all dhatus and organs in the body.
- When the medicine reaches with the help of oil to particular dhatu it subsides the disease of that particular dhatu.
- “Vata” is dominating the skin which is mentioned in the Ayurveda texts also skin is the largest organ of the body hence keeping it oiled should be followed as a daily routine.
- Also, there are references that abhyangam–massage nourishes the body and the mind. As the oil nourishes the organs which in turn nourish the mind and body.
- What are the different kinds – USP of each (benefits too)?
Three main types
Sarvakayaabhyangam – Full Oody Oil Massage
- Makes the body sturdy and strong
- Makes it capable of facing any injuries and assaults
- Improves body immunity.
- Improves skin texture.
- Nourishes overall body organs, joints, ligaments, etc.
- Improves body fluid and blood circulation.
- Rejuvenates the body and rebuilds the body system.
Shiroabhyangam – Head Massage
- Hairfall, graying of hair.
- Nourishes the hair follicles and pores.
- Provides nourishment to the brain and mind
- Relaxes the body.
- Provides black and lustrous hair.
- Nourishes the mind and sensory organs
- Improves sleep patterns.
Padabhyangam – Foot Massage
- Prevents dryness, cracks, stiffness in the feet and leg.
- Provides strength
- Improves body circulation
- Improves vision.
- Nourishes the ligaments and tendons.
- Cure symptoms like numbness, swelling, etc
- Other areas where massages are conventionally used are post-pregnancy massages and newborn massages.
- Please explain the evolution of massage as therapy (Ancient Vs. Modern)
- These days massage is a common form of holistic medicine, with a variety of techniques and practices to cater to all types of mental and physical ailments.
- Today’s day and age massage being considered as part of an overall healthcare plan.
- In recent times there has been an emergence of massage chairs being used in addition to a massage treatment.
- Massage therapy is used to maintain internal and external health
- What are the areas of application in healthcare?
Health benefits from implementing a daily oil rub into your morning or evening routine include:
- Improved Musculoskeletal strength
- Develops bone and joint strength
- Nourishes nervous system
- Improves circulation and lymph drainage
- Works on improving the quality and duration of sleep
- Makes skin healthy, soft, and subtle
- Enhances vision
- Nourishes the scalp and hair
- Tones the body’s tissues
- Increases life span and quality
- Nourishment for the whole body
- Relives stress mental and physical
- Improves vigor
- The present-day scenario of massages.
- As a preventative practice, therapeutic massage is used in spas, gyms, and workplaces all over the world
- Today various massages are used in physical therapy and in chiropractic clinics to treat pain, improve circulation, and speed up the healing of injured muscles.
- Post-delivery massages and pediatric massages are types of massages that have always been important since traditional times to date.
You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar website remedial massage near me visit the site to know more about MyoFitness.