Compiled by Dr. Rajesh
Excessive discharge of a white, sticky, foul-smelling material from the vagina is called Leucorrhoea. In Ayurveda, Leucorrhoea is known as Shveta Pradar, where Shveta means ‘white’, and Pradar means ‘discharge’.
1) Excessive intake of heavy, oily, cold, sweet, and dense foods
2) Consumption of too much milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese
3) Improper vaginal hygiene
4) Overindulgence in sexual activity
5) Repeated abortions or miscarriages, following improper diet and lifestyle during menstrual cycles
1) Pain in the lumbar region
3) Irritation and itching in the genital area
The causative factors (especially food) mentioned above can result in aggravation of Kapha Dosha. This increased Kapha, along with other factors, can impair the Rasa Dhatu (nutrient plasma) present in the vaginal tract, ultimately leading to the painless discharge of white-colored fluid from the vagina.
Ayurvedic Leucorrhoea Treatment
Ayurvedic treatment of Leucorrhoea consists of restoring the digestive fire of the body in order to cleanse the accumulated toxins and balance Kapha. Rejuvenating herbs are then prescribed to tone the reproductive system.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice –
1) Avoid heavy, oily, fried, spicy, and sour foods
2) Tea, coffee, alcohol, aerated drinks, and non-vegetarian food should also be avoided
3) Increase intake of fruits, vegetables, and salads
4) Increase liquids in the diet, such as water, soup, milk, and juice. These help to flush out the toxins
5) Maintain proper hygiene
Home Remedies –
1) Make a douche (Vaginal wash)from 2-3 tsp fenugreek seeds by boiling it in 1 liter of water. After it starts boiling, keep it on low flame for about half an hour then filter it and use it.
2) Boil 3 tablespoons of rice in 3 cups of water in an open pan. Remove the rice by straining the water. Drink the water lukewarm with 1 teaspoon of sugar (preferably unrefined sugar) in it. Have this once a day.
3) Take 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, soak it in a glass of water overnight and drink it in the morning. Continue this for a week.