Rise, Oryza Sativa, is the staple food in most of the countries worldwide. There are around 40,000 varieties of rice and all have different health benefits with different nutrient profiles. The most popular ones are red rice, brown rice, black rice, and white rice. They all come under the whole grain category. Red rise is considered to be the most nutritious amongst others. They are covered with a red husk. It contains a compound called Anthocyanin (which is useful in treating cardiovascular diseases) and hence consumed either partially hulled or unshelled.
Benefits of Red Rice
Red rice is enriched with antioxidants and magnesium, which help in curing and preventing many diseases.
- Helps in controlling Diabetes: Since it has a low glycemic index, it helps in controlling the sugar level
- Prevention of Asthma: Since it has rich magnesium content, regular consumption of red rice helps to improve oxygen circulation and hence prevent Asthma.
- Improves digestion: It has a great source of fiber so, it eases bowel movement.
- Reduces Fatigue: Since it contains bran, one feels satiated for a longer period.
- Reduces the Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases: The bran present in the red rice helps to reduce cholesterol levels thus reduces heart diseases.
- Prevents Arthritis and Osteoporosis: Rich source of Calcium and Magnesium is present in red rice which in turn helps in maintaining bone density.
- Builds immunity: Red rice contains Selenium, a factor that is helpful to fight against infections.
Difference between white, brown, black, and red rice:
- White rise does not have the outer layers i.e. the husk, bran, and germ. It is also called polished rice. Hence it has fewer vitamins and minerals compared to other varieties of rice. It has a high glycemic index and is a good source of natural carbohydrates.
- In brown rice, the outer husk is removed but it has the bran layer and the germ hence it contains more fiber as compared to white rice.
- Black rice contains all the outer layers (husk, bran, and germ) hence it contains an immense amount of antioxidants compared to other varieties of rice. The deep black or the purple husk of the black rise is a marker.
- The red rice has a red color due to the presence of Anthocyanin due to which it has a high nutrient profile.
The healthiest rice: red, brown, white, or black rice:
Black rice and red rice are considered to be the healthiest as they contain the component called Anthocyanin. Anthocyanin restricts the free radicals which attribute to the cause of Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and even cancer. They have a rich source of antioxidants as compared to other rice varieties (almost 6 times higher) which reduces inflammation in the body.
Consumption of Red Rice:
Rice, even though has a good source of carbohydrates, due to its high glycemic index, eventually causes excess blood glucose level and fat in our body. So, not a good choice for weight loss or any other health benefits. However, the type of rice we are consuming also matters, and hence red rise is considered to be the drug of choice for the overall growth of the body. This can be included in your daily diet plan and in the weight loss program.
The right way to cook red rice:
Soak the red rice at least in a large bowl one hour before cooking mainly to clean the dust etc. Add water in a ratio of 1:4 and boil. Once the water boils add the red rise and cook for 20 minutes on low flame and partially cover the mouth of the bowl with a plate. Once cooked, drain out the liquid and red rice is ready for consumption.
Precautions while consuming red rice:
There are no known side effects of consuming red rice as such. However, the heavy consumption of red rice may cause indigestion.